Heart of Carrot

Heart of Carrot

Sep 28, 2015

Phoenix Week One

I have been in Phoenix for a little over a week. When I first arrived Kevin was not eating solid foods. Now he is eating mostly solid. He wasn't taking all of his meds or supplements either. The amount he is taking is overwhelming. I figured out if I open all the capsules and mix them with a tablespoon of coconut cream, he can take them. The tablets he chokes down. He is mixing the probiotic with goat yogurt. I mixed the green drink and another of his powder supplements together. I also mix all of his liquid supplements together. Making sure he is taking everything at the right times is so important.



I have been going with him when he receives radiation and to the treatment center. I had a totally different picture in my mind how one gets radiation treatment.  I understand that would be different depending on where the cancer is located. The cancer is located in Kevin's neck, throat, and tongue. That is why he is strapped down with a mesh mask. The machine it's self looks like a CAT machine. Kevin said the inside is a bit bigger than a CAT scan machine, but it can still be a bit claustrophobic.

Chemo isn't administered that way I thought either. First the nurse gives Kevin insulin to drop his blood sugar. When his blood sugar levels down that low, he starts to sweat, he feels weak and nausea. He doesn't talk too much during this process. After his levels hit the sweet spot, around 40, the nurse shoots him with two large syringes. The go into the tube stuck into his port. As soon as she finishes, he needs to eat protein, fruit, and a vegetable. I have been pureed all of these, because it is easier for him to get the food down when he is in such a state. Once his blood sugar rises again, he is back to himself.

Oscar seems to adjusting well to our new location. I have only seen a few other dogs in our community, I try to avoid them. We have settled into a nice routine. There is a little fenced area for pets but we haven't gone there. The houses are so close together, we have very little yard. The yard we do have is rock. The place to walk dogs is along the "pee wall". It is the wall the surrounds the whole of community. In the hot hot afternoon it is the only shaded part to walk. I have notice a lot of people walk there dogs along it.

I have done a little bit of exploring our area of town. A lot of stores are located along Bell Street. It is the major street just outside our community. It has three lanes of traffic going both ways. I do no like crossing it or even trying to make a right turn on to it. Luckily, Greeway another major street intersections with Bell Street. It might take me a few more seconds to get to wear I need to go, but I am willing to take those seconds to avoid Bell Street.    

All and all my experience so far in Phoenix as been a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment