Heart of Carrot

Heart of Carrot

Jul 12, 2015

Grow, Grow, Grow

I am pleased to report that everything I planted in the last couple of weeks are doing well. The Seminole pumpkin took three days to sprout, the winter squash took five. One of the Malabar spinach plants has finally latched onto the trellis, the other one isn't showing signs of growth, but the plant itself looks healthy. Two of the okra plants are showing much growth either, but they too look healthy. The three okra plants I planted in the grow bag just got their true leaves. The beets, kale, and chard are just poking through the soil.

I have started watering twice a day, before work and at dusk. It seems to be helping. The only problem I am having is I am getting twice the amount of mosquito bites.  My advice is to wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. If only I would follow my own advice. Most days, I look like I have the pox.

My cherry tomato has turned into a mutant. It has taken over it's side of the box. It now shadows the other tomato plant, which is not producing anymore. Since Kevin is the only that eats tomatoes, he has requested that I plant regular tomatoes next spring, not cherry. I plan on planting heirlooms for him. I am excited about the variety of them available to order. Abu Rawan, Barnes Mountain, Berkeley Tie-Dye, Fantome Du Loas, Pink Ponderosa, and Black Elephant have all peeked my interest.

My cucumber vines are withering and dying. I am not too sad about this because I am cucumbered out. Through my research I found out my cucumbers are yellow and round because I do not have the right nutrients in their soil. Before I plant them in the Spring, I will amend their soil. I will not be planting as many either. I will only plant one side of the A-Frame. On the other side, I will be planting garlic and shallots. I will plant both of these in late September for a Spring harvest.

As my potted flowers die, I have decided not to replant them. I am going to use there pots for my Fall crop. I have been doing a lot of research on planting vegetables in pots. I plan on trying broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. Of course, I will planting more kale, chard, and beets. I also thought I would try spinach, I will be planting this late September.

What's next? Kevin will be building me a grass box. More on that next week.

Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment