Heart of Carrot

Heart of Carrot

Apr 6, 2015

Herbs, Mulch, Trellis

My garden has been planted for a couple of weeks. 18 beans, three sugar pumpkins, two sugar watermelons, six summer squash, six winter squash, several carrot and beets, two cabbage, four kale, 23 cucumbers, and a lot of chard are coming up strongly.  I check the boxes a few times a day. I am in awe every time I see a new sprout peeking through the dirt. It's magically! I have high expectations of an over abundance harvest.


We picked up Asbury last week. I couldn't resist him, when I saw him at the store. It is like he was beckoning me. I am pretty sure I heard him say, "Take me home with you" Our "little" garden gnome will protect our vegetables, flowers, and foliage.




Kevin used a combination of cedar and pressure treated wood to build the trellises. I was originally going to use string for them  but Tracy brought up a good point, the string may rot before the end of the season. In the end, we went with a thin wire. However, I will still use garden twine for tie the beans and squash to the wire. When the watermelon get to a softball size, I plan on putting them in knee hi stockings and suspending them on the wire.  


I was able to put in a herb garden as well. I planted mint, lavender, thyme, rosemary, sage, basil, and oregano. Oh, one pepper plant is in the herb garden as well. Kevin wanted it and I didn't have space in the boxes. I used rocks from the yard to make the borders, We bought cement pavers to put on the mulch so I wouldn't crush it. The problem is I spaced them too far apart. I have to either to leap to the next one or walk in a zig zag pattern from the pavers to the rug. It is quite comical. Kevin does not have this problem.


I put down three types of mulch. I used cedar mulch in the area around the herb garden. This is closest to our trailer. I am hoping it help keep the mosquito population at bay or at least repel them. Around the planter boxer I laid mesquite mulch for no other reason than I wanted to keep the weeds down and it was inexpensive. In the planter boxers and in the herb bed, I used an organic fertilizer mulch. Putting mulch in the boxes and bed will help with retaining moisture. All three mulches are from local companies. I am not sure if using local will make a difference or not. However, I believe anything you buy from local companies benefits the economy and the environment.

I have realized an unexpected benefit of moving heavy bags, digging holes, and shoveling dirt. My biceps are more defined and I have lost inches off my waist. Woo hoo for gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment