Heart of Carrot

Heart of Carrot

Mar 22, 2015

My Garden Obsession...The Beginning

When we lived in Iowa, I had no desire to do any type of landscaping or gardening. Now that we are Texas, I have become obsessed with gardening...both vegetables, flowers, and foliage. Due to the type of soil we have, planting in the ground is not an option. Last year, I tried using 55 gallon plastic totes with little success. I think I got five tomatoes and three peppers all year. This year, Kevin made me three cedar plank raised beds. Our friend, Karen from Omaha gave us some great advice as well.


This year I did a lot of research before I started planting. I decided to use the square foot method of gardening. I took lots of notes! If you would like to know about square foot gardening, take a look at this website. This website is interactive. You can put in the size of your garden, then drag and drop the type of vegetables you would like to grow, it will tell you how many you can plant per square foot. There are also several preplanned gardens you may choose or at least get ideas.

This kindle book All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More In Less Spacealso has a lot of good information.



I purchased two square yards of Hill County Garden Soil from The Natural Gardener. Matter of fact, I was there so many times last week, the cashier calls me by name. It is a wonderful place just to visit and lunch. I love it there.

I felt like a shoveled dirt for hours! My muscles felt like I shoveled dirt for hours. It was great. I can not tell how much satisfaction I got from moving the dirt all by myself.


I planted butternut squash, delicata squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, kouska, yellow squash, beans, carrots, beets, cabbage, kale, chard, and cucumbers from seed. I also planted two tomato plants and marigolds.

With diligence, luck, and an offering to Gaia...I am expecting a bumper crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment