Heart of Carrot

Heart of Carrot

May 24, 2015

The Joys and Woes of Gardening

I love my garden. The pleasure I get from watching it grow and bloom is unmeasurable. Everyday, I notice something new and exciting. There are little cucumbers starting to emerge. My cherry tomato plant laden with fruit. It has grown so big the regular size tomato plant in it's shadow. The green pepper plant is not very tall, but there are several peppers growing. My Gardenia is blooming early. The fragrance is amazing.


I have been able to harvest beets, beans, chard, and two types of summer squash! Nothing taste better than vegetable from your garden.

I only have two winter squash left. I lost the rest to squash vine borers. Natural Gardeners told me those nasty little fellows are common in this area. I was also told to cover seedlings with Micromesh until female flowers form; then uncover or hand pollinate. This is not an option, since my vines are rather large. The person I spoke to recommend not to grow winter squash in the same spot next year. Better yet, do not grow them at all. My last remaining kale, as well as my oregano and mint were eaten by an unknown assailant. I am guessing it is either snails or slugs. I am constantly pulling snails off my bean plants.  I am going cut back the oregano and mint to see if that helps. Out of the 18 beans plants I had planted, I have four left that are producing.

It has been raining for three weeks. Central Texas really does need it. Although we are not considered to be in a serve drought at this time, both Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan are still way below their normal levels. While all the rain has been great, I have had to replant several flowers because they got water logged. I have also had to all of my succulents under our awning to keep them for getting too much water.

Even though I have been feeling downhearted with all my losses, I have been looking forward to harvesting my tomatoes and cucumbers when they are ripe. I may try my hand at making pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment